Second April Post

At this point in the project, I’m almost done with the article I’ve been working on all month. It’s an unusual little piece, especially at this stage when it’s mostly written but not necessarily organized yet. To clarify: what I’ve been writing about RISSE has flowed out in bits, little mini ideas that either stand alone or connect to another mini idea through a shared subject. They are technically discrete snapshots (I wouldn’t even say they’re stories, necessarily) but my hope is that they each contribute a verse to the poem I’m trying to compose about this after school center.

There’s a certain amount of restraint that is involved in this writing process, too, because I am really dedicated to a couple things with this project: one, acknowledging myself in the context of the center and the things I write about it, and two, painting these kids and this place with as light a brush as possible. I want to convey beauty and love in my piece, but I’m loathe to have any other designs for what it might or might not do for readers. And even beyond that, I think one of the best ways to show other people something that you appreciate is to show it as truly as you can–with transparency and sincerity about your role in the telling, and without extra embellishments. After all, the kids I’m writing about don’t need any.

Comments

  1. Great catching up with your blog! You have had a productive year and I am excited for you to share with our community. Do you best to get ready for the big day on Friday, 25 May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your Signature presentation and all of your posts this year. I hope that you have a clear sense of accomplishment and pride. I am certainly pleased with your work this year. Remember to finish the year in good form!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second January Post

Autobiography